Feeding people is my passion. Of course that passion starts at home. I have a drive to feed my family the best food possible for their health and well-being. I also love to feed people in my home. Hosting meals and parties is one of my favorite things to do! I love nothing more than to know that they enjoyed what I made with my hands. But it goes beyond that. I have a real need to FEED people. I am not talking about my family or even my friends, I am talking about the more than 50 million Americans who don’t know where their next meal will come from.
I’ve had the opportunity to work with big brands and to learn what they are doing to help end hunger, specifically with Feeding America and Share Our Strength’s Cooking and Shopping Matters. After going through some of the conferences and touring some of the facilities I just can’t get it off my mind and I have been looking for ways that I can help. Specifically, I have been looking into starting the classes in my own community and have plans to do so by this summer.
Most of us would happily do what we can to help our neighbors out if we knew they needed us. Well this is your call to action. The reality is that 1 in 6 Americans is going hungry and traditionally spring brings a decrease in food donations, leaving hunger organizations with limited resources, and leaving their clientele vulnerable.
What can you do to help?
It’s simple really… shop at Walmart,
This Spring, Walmart, alongside four of the most recognizable food brands in America—ConAgra, General Mills, Kellogg’s and Kraft— is fighting hunger with a goal to help its customers give more than 42 million meals to local food banks.
- The program will run in all U.S. Walmart stores from April 9 to 30, and will give millions of customers the opportunity to help fight hunger in their communities.
- As part of the program, select products in Walmart stores will help customers generate meals to feed hungry families across the nation. By purchasing those products, customers can give back to hunger-fighting nonprofits.
- In addition to the in-store products, Walmart and participating suppliers will help raise hunger awareness with in-store signage as well as national advertising and communications. This will put valuable information about fighting hunger in the hands of millions of Americans.
… And, log in to your Facebook Account.
Walmart will also engage online communities to help fight hunger in communities with high rates of unemployment by asking people to vote for their favorite communities on Facebook.
- From April 9 to April 30, Walmart will also ask its 13 million Facebook fans to engage in the fight against hunger.
- The Facebook campaign will also provide information for how user can donate to or volunteer with hunger fighting agencies in their local communities.
- Walmart has used a Department of Labor Unemployment list to designate the 200 communities in the U.S. where unemployment rates are the highest. Through a Facebook voting campaign, Walmart will give $2 million to fight hunger in those communities based on user support.
Together, we can reach a day where no one has to go to bed hungry or wonder where their next meal will come from.
*Disclosure: I am a Walmart Mom. This post is sponsored by Walmart. Walmart has provided me with product and/or compensation in exchange for my time and efforts in creating this post. My participation is voluntary. As always, my opinion is my own.